Ko Olina District Events
Aloha Ko Olina leaders!
We hope to see at this month's Roundtable, on Thursday, May 12! Here are some of the things you can look forward to:
- We'll have fall recruitment materials available to request, for both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts! We'll be sharing how you can use the Rocket into Scouting campaign to grow your pack, and we'll have some more information about Lion Cubs!
- We'll have special training for both Cub Scout and Boy Scout leaders. Boy Scout leaders will be discussing how to use older Scouts as Junior Assistant Scoutmasters.
- You'll get time to talk story with other amazing Scout leaders from all over Kamehameha district.
- We have your unit's charter certificate! Come pick it up.
Roundtable will take place from 7-8:30 PM
at the Kalaeloa LDS chapel, 2074 Lauwiliwili St., Kapolei.
Roundtable is how you can get even better as a leader, and we hope to see everyone there! It's especially great for new leaders to get connected and network with other leaders in the district. Here are some other things you should know:
It's time for the Ko Olina district camporee on May 20-22 at Camp Palehua (formerly Camp Timberline). You troop will not want to miss this event. Patrols will compete on Saturday in Fire Building, Knot Tying, Navigation, First Aid, Emergency Shelter, and Signaling. We'll also have a campfire program on Saturday night, as well as optional activities: a swimming pool, hikes around the area, and (for a small extra fee) a ropes course to challenge your patrol!
This is going to be one of the best camporees of the year, at a stunning location--Camp Palehua, high in the mountains above Makakilo. Check out the pictures to see for yourself. The cost is only $20 for Scouts and $10 for leaders. Registration is right here.
Scouts: Want to witness a once-in-a-lifetime experience at the Ewa Battlefield? On May 30, during a special Memorial Day commemoration, learn about Ewa Field history, experience its nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, and honor those Marines, soldiers and Navy aviators who died in air and ground engagements around Ewa Field in the opening minutes of the Pacific War. We expect to have some flyovers by a wide variety of WW-II and vintage aircraft! The event will start at 10:00 AM, and Scouts can arrive at 9:30. Please contact Caleb Turner at 724-8747 or firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
It's time to sign up for day camp.
Cub Scout day camp for our district will be on June 17th and 18th at the Kalaeloa LDS chapel. The theme is CSI: Cub Scout Investigators. Here are the awesome activities your Cub Scouts and Webelos can look forward to:
- Powder analysis
- Obstacle course
- BB guns
- Cyber safety class
Sign up is now available online, right here. The registration deadline is June 1st, but if you register by May 28th, it's only $35.
We need volunteers to help with day camp! We need both Boy Scouts (14+) and adults to help with this awesome event. Please contact Caleb at email@example.com or 724-8747 if you can help! Volunteer training is tentatively scheduled for June 4.
We have lots of training coming up this month!
- BALOO: May 21. BALOO is the essential outdoor course for Cub Scout leaders. At least one leader on any pack camping trip needs to have completed this training. Ka'ala district will be hosting a BALOO training on May 21st from 12-4 pm at the cafeteria of Kanoelani Elementary School. The cost is $15, and registration is online.
- Also on May 21, we have unit advancement training! If you're your unit's advancement chair or part of the committee, this will be your chance to get information on Internet advancement, how to conduct a board of review, and what's in the Guide to Advancement. This will last from 9 to noon, right before BALOO, but it's at President's Hall here at the service center. Details and registration are here. We even plan on having training from a ScoutBook expert at this event!
- Finally, on May 28 Ko Olina district will be hosting basic leader training for den leaders, (assistant) cubmasters, committee chairs, and (assistant) Scoutmasters! It will take place from 8 to noon (4 pm for assistant/Scoutmasters) at Island Pacific Academy in Kapolei. Register here.
That's all for this month--don't forget your Makahiki card money is due on Friday 5/6! Make sure to bring your prize order form for all Scouts who have earned prizes so that we can start preparing your prizes right away!