Instructor, Rick Shema, will relate valuable information from July 2015 Philmont Training Center Disabilities Awareness Conference.
1. Opening Remarks: Jeffery Sulzbach, Scout Executive (TBD)
2. Adult Coping Skills for Poor Behavior
3. Highlights from Philmont Training Center Conference on Disabilities Awareness
4. How to Get Reluctant Parents More Involved
5. Navigating IEP process. Tips for Parents from Parents
6. Accommodations vs Modifications for advancement requirements
7. Peer Buddy vs Buddy System
8. Networking Opportunity: Learn from one another
When: Saturday, September 24, 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Where: Aloha Council, President’s Hall
Continental Breakfast and Refreshments
Audience: All Unit Leaders & Committee members, Parents, District Disability Awareness Representatives, Commissioners, and anyone with special interest in helping Scouts with disabilities.
Register: On Aloha Council Calendar for September 24, 2016.
Guest Speaker: The founder of Learning Disabilities and ADHD Center of Hawaii, Dr. Karen Tyson, will be speaking. She will be talking about autism, ADHD, and learning disabilities.
Attendance does not require the adult be in any specific position or even registered in BSA. So, parents and Scouts 14 years and older are welcome too!
Attendees and come late and leave early, if their schedule does not allow full attendance.
Point of Contact: Rick Shema, GAPS Chair. firstname.lastname@example.org; mobile: 808-291-9949